A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Friday, October 12, 2007

Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours


I am currently in the process of reading a really great book called "Making Children Mind Without Losing yours" By Dr. Kevin Leman.
Dr. Leman, is a well known psychologist and the author of 21 books on marriage and family, and also has been a guest on Oprah, The view, Regis, Good Morning America and many other popular television programs.
Unlike many psychologists, he is a very devout Christian and father of five, who believes in incorporating the Savior in all family aspects, including how we discipline our children.
The book, is largely based on the scripture Ephesians 6:1-4 which states:
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."
Of course, not being LDS and not using the King James version, his quotation is slightly different, however the idea is the same, making it applicable to LDS parents as well as those of his own religion.
A lot of what he writes is how our relationship with Christ can make us a better parent, and a better friend to our children.
One of the key methods he uses in parenting is called Reality Dicipline, which incorporates establishing a healthy authority over your children, holding them accountable for their actions, letting reality be the teacher, using action more than words (instead of warning your child a thousand times what your going to do if they keep up negative behavior), and living by your values.
He explains the differences between healthy and unhealthy discipline, as well as explaining why children misbehave and what to do about it.
He also gives informative and simple suggestions to everyday issues in raising kids like picky eating, temper tantrums, sibling rivalry, attention seeking, lying, forgetting, talking back, bedtime battles, potty training, watching too much TV, road trips, dangers of life, peer groups and many, many other issues that parents continually deal with. His suggestions can be applied to children from as early as 2 years old up through the teenage years.
He has entire chapters on setting suitable allowances, curfews, and privileges, and how to use them as a means of discipline when the child misbehaves.
Accountability is a big deal to this author. He explains that children as a whole in society are growing up without learning to be accountable for their own decisions, and as a result, struggle when they start to grow up and enter the real world.
Something I also like about him is that he makes it clear that child rearing is an art form, and a lot of times you have to go with your gut. He also explains that although his book offers many suggestions, that it is up to the reader to decide what is appropriate to use in their home and what they choose to do without.
Not all of it is easy, especially how he emphasizes on remaining calm as a parent when your child is acting up, and to be careful not to discipline them in the heat of anger and frustration. However, his suggestions make a lot of sense, and I hope to practice many of his suggestions with my own children.
Anyway, I recommend this book to all my friends out there who are raising little children of their own, and would like to look at some new options on ways to teach your child how to be responsible and successful, while using authority and decisiveness to show your children that you care about them.
I bought it used, on amazon for four dollars including shipping and handling, and I'm sure you can all find it for the same price if you just buy it used instead of new, which I also recommend. Have a nice day! (:

4 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, Lisa, this post couldn't have come at a better time for me. Soren and I are having tons of power struggles lately and I've been feeling extremely frustrated at his sudden push to test every limit we've ever set for him. I think I'll order this book right away. It definitely sounds like something I could use right now. Thanks for recommending it!

Liz said...

Oh, and this is too funny. I love your new blog format! What's funny is that I just downloaded this same scrapbook kit from shabbyprincess.com the other day. At least I think that's where I got it. But here's how retarded I am. I couldn't come up with a winning combination of papers/designs. I'm just not good at "decorating" and cutesy artsy things. You win! You did a great job. It looks awesome! I think I'll still with my boring old format. It's easier. :)

Lisa/Scott said...

Liz, you're so funny. You're not retarded at all. I actually used the format from this site: http://matiekay.blogspot.com/ she puts templates together for you and gives you step by step instructions on how to do your own. The downside is you have to reapply all your stuff on the sidebar (except linklists) but all the pictures, etc. get erased and you have to put it all back on, which was a hassle.
The book is not a cure all, but has some great insights. Sometimes he made me a little skeptical, but his love for his children and religious beliefs made me at least hear him out, and he did say a lot of things I agree with. I don't know if I'm courageous enough to try all his methods, or if they'll even work, but I plan on trying some of them out.

natalie brady said...

Hey! I love your new blog format too, I will have to look up that site, I get bored with mine all the time. The book sounds interesting, I'll have to read it. Thanks!