A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Call me crazy but...

My sister thinks it's a little mean, but I bought a child harness for Crystal, for the times I take her to the store.

The problem is that as my belly gets bigger, my coordination, agility, and speed are beginning to slow down, whereas the bigger Crystal gets, the more coordination, agility, and speed she has.
Her new favorite game is to take off running in the store whenever I put her down and making me chase her. Granted, it's good exercise, but her little body moves fast and darts all over the place, and I'm terrified of loosing her.
I'm getting too pregnant to carry her for more than five minutes, and she only sits in the shopping cart when she's exhausted...if there even is a shopping cart at the store I'm in. She doesn't like holding hands anymore and always pulls it away. Not to mention the big, and sometimes heavy diaper bag that I also carry everywhere.
She isn't afraid of being lost. I've tried hiding around the corner and watching her by herself, and there is no fear at all there.
The other day I couldn't find her for a mere 10 seconds, but as a mom, and a pregnant, hormonal mom, it was all I could take.
So yesterday we went to target and I let her pick out her own harness...she chose the one with the teddy bear backpack,(there was also a monkey and a puppy) and so far she loves it. She thinks it's a game, and that the furry harness strap is her tail that I hold on to. I'm sure she'll figure it out that she's under restraint, but I'd rather look like one of those crazy moms, than risk loosing my child. I'd rather risk a future tantrum when she realizes that she can't escape.
She actually doesn't throw many tantrums in public at all, and when she does, I carry her for the five minutes that I still can until she calms down. She never really makes it past two minutes of crying anyway.
So now I look like a mean, controlling mom, but I'm hoping that she'll outgrow the running away phase soon enough.

7 comments:

Liz said...

You probably look less like a mean and controlling mom and more like a pregnant and overtaxed mom. :) We bought one of those for Soren once upon a time (the monkey), but we've never had to use it. He's really obedient and stays nearby all the time. He's also afraid of being lost or kidnapped. Anders, on the other hand, is going to be just like Crystal, I think - no fear. I'm sure you'll see a similar post to this one on our own blog in a few months. :) Good luck! I think it's a brilliant idea.

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leigh said...

This makes me think of this:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=758162443

Unknown said...

I did try that with Emma and it totally didn't work...dang it

Spencer Davis said...

We've been using the dog version of this harness on Owen since he could walk. At first I did feel like a psycho parent but then I got used to it. My feelings on the effectiveness are mixed. Though it has been effective in keeping Owen from darting away, it has not been effective when trying to get him to walk along side me. He tends to run away, fall, and then I end up picking him up and carrying him. We don't really use it anymore.

Hope you hav better luck with Crystal

Cathy said...

I have the Monkey for Max and I do like it. I don't use it a lot because he will still sit in the shopping cart long enough for me to get my groceries. I have only used it at the mall and it works great there. Max is very independent and does not want to hold your hand or be directed, so I strap his "monkey backpack" and he can go anywhere safely. I also used it the other day when we went for a walk and I could keep him from running to the street every 5 minutes. He likes to do that for some reason.

natalie brady said...

I had the same problem with Nicholas when I was pregnant with Christian, only that is when I got tendonitis too. I must have looked really pathetic with my huge stomach, my handicap shoes, and a son who could totally out run me. There were several times that complete strangers had to stop him for me! I never thought about getting one of those, but it sounds like a good idea to me!