A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Monday, May 12, 2008

I love being a Mom!


These are just a FEW of some quotes that our modern day prophets and apostles have to say about being a mother. There were so many more, these aren't even doing it justice:

"Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother’s image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child’s mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world." -David O. McKay

"God bless you, dear friends. Do not trade your birthright as a mother for some bauble of passing value. Let your first interest be in your home. The baby you hold in your arms will grow quickly as the sunrise and the sunset of the rushing days. I hope that when that occurs you will not be led to exclaim as did King Lear, “How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is to have a thankless child!” (King Lear, I, iv, 312). Rather, I hope that you will have every reason to be proud concerning your children, to have love for them, to have faith in them, to see them grow in righteousness and virtue before the Lord, to see them become useful and productive members of society. If with all you have done there is an occasional failure, you can still say, “At least I did the very best of which I was capable. I tried as hard as I knew how. I let nothing stand in the way of my role as a mother.” Failures will be few under such circumstances." -Gordon B. Hinkley

When I reflect upon the duties and responsibilities devolving upon our mothers and sisters, and the influence they wield, I look upon them as the mainspring and soul of our being here.” -Brigham Young

“I have learned to place a high estimate upon the love of mother. I have often said, and will repeat it, that the love of a true mother comes nearer being like the love of God than any other kind of love.” (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, p. 315.)

“Talk about sacrifice! Why the sacrifice of the women of this Church and their devotion are beyond the power of pen and tongue to pay tribute.” -Heber J. Grant

“… I think you will agree with me that seldom may be found in this world a great man who did not have a great mother.” -George Albert Smith

"I have marveled at Mother’s forecast that a child would break out with measles or chicken pox well before my trained medical eye would have so predicted. I have watched the incredible calm of Mother when her child experienced a convulsive seizure. So much is expected of a woman.Often she is a detective; she must search for lost articles and solve on a daily basis baffling “who done it” mysteries.
Frequently, her eager audience requests her talent as a musician by calling upon her to sing—any time, any place. She is an artist, using crayons and coloring books, needles and thread, or other means to create works of art by her own hands. During the early life of most children, a woman is the principal disciplinarian. She treads the tightrope of judgment between being too strict or too permissive.Mother is “secretary of labor” for her home. She teaches the work ethic with its responsibilities and rewards" -Elder Russel M. Nelson

"A mother’s nurturing love arouses in children, from their earliest days on earth, an awakening of the memories of love and goodness they experienced in their premortal existence. Because our mothers love us, we learn, or more accurately remember, that God also loves us." -Elder M. Russell Ballard

"...may I say to mothers collectively, in the name of the Lord, you are magnificent. You are doing terrifically well. The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you. He knows that your giving birth to a child does not immediately propel you into the circle of the omniscient. If you and your husband will strive to love God and live the gospel yourselves; if you will plead for that guidance and comfort of the Holy Spirit promised to the faithful; if you will go to the temple to both make and claim the promises of the most sacred covenants a woman or man can make in this world; if you will show others, including your children, the same caring, compassionate, forgiving heart you want heaven to show you; if you try your best to be the best parent you can be, you will have done all that a human being can do and all that God expects you to do." -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

"I wish to say without equivocation that a woman will find no greater satisfaction and joy and peace and make no greater contribution to mankind than in being a wise and worthy woman and raising good children." -Spencer W. Kimball

I'm so thankful that I'm a mom! It has it's good days and not so good days, but I love my little girl, and I already love my little boy who will finally make his appearance.
I'm thankful for the sacrifices of my own mom...who was one of the first members of the church in her country and came here not knowing English, and being willing to stay at home to take care of me and my siblings.
I'm thankful for Scott, who is supportive of my role as a mother...(and I'm thankful for the Huge Lazy boy recliner/rocker that he bought me to help me with that role for mother's day!) lol.
What a wonderful world it is with Motherhood in it! Hope you all had a great Mothers day and that those who are mother's don't let themselves feel too overwhelmed, and get some rest once and a while!

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Lisa, I just love you! You are so awesome. Thanks for this beautiful post. And thank you for all your comments in my blog. I really love reading what you have to say. Thank you!

Lisa said...

Thanks for all the quotes Lis! I really enjoyed them! The picture of Crystal on the slide turned out really good. The yellow is so bright in the picture.

natalie brady said...

What a great idea for a mothers day post! Thanks!

Paula-Adam said...

I'm loving all of the cool pictures you are taking. They are amazing and they look WAY awesome..you and cathy AND lisa and tempting me to buy a new camera. I think you three have the same one.