A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Thursday, March 29, 2012

I"M BALD!!!

Well, not really, but I hate this part of having an infant. The hair loss, from the hormones of breastfeeding and having given birth. It's started, and it's terrible.
Crystal was 4 months old when I noticed it the first time it happened, and back then I had no clue whatsoever that the hair loss after giving birth was perfectly normal. All I knew was that my hair was falling out and I completely panicked. I was positive I had some rare disease that was making all my hair fall out and I was going to be completely bald for the rest of my life; maybe a few hairs on there, maybe a culd-e-sac like older men get, or maybe just really thin like Donald Trump. I got online and instead of researching hair loss in new moms, I started looking at expensive wigs made from human hair to cover my bald head.
Luckily, Scott was smart enough to tell me not to panic and he did the research..(which was either motivated by my distress, or possibly because he saw the prices of some of those wigs), and found out it was a common complaint of women having just given birth and that it would look normal again in a few months. Phew, what a relief.
So with this new and exciting knowledge, I would explain to people at church, at gatherings, and yes, even a random stranger in the grocery store that my baby is making my hair fall out but it will grow back and it's normal. To my astonishment, most people already knew this little fact of life and began to explain to me about increased levels of estrogen giving you thicker hair when pregnant and how it drops dramatically after giving birth, making your hair fall out. Once I realized everybody knew this but me, I was just mad that nobody sent me the memo. It would have prevented a huge panic attack.

Here I am in my current balding glory...also posting this picture has made me realize that my blue contacts look so blue that they look fake, and I will be going back to green as soon as I can.




Mini Cul-de-sac. I ALWAYS get these on both sides of my head like horns after I give birth.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I had handfuls fall out with my first pregnancy and it never returned!!!! I have the worlds worst hair because of being pregnant. I curse it daily:{

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

Holy Sheep Dip!! That would scare the heck out of me! Good thing to know about! I'm happy to hear that you aren't going to be permanently bald! I would love you all the same though even if you were though!!

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

Wow i should not post comments while watching t.v. My last post really doesn't flow!!

Liz said...

That's exactly where I lose my hair after birth, too!! And I hate it because it means I will always have "wings" growing back in there. Grrr.