Potty seat? Check.
Potty chart with stickers? Check.
Gummy worm rewards? Check.
Crystal hired as my second lookout for when he starts squatting? Check.
Seth hates Crystals little tiny toilet because he wanted to sit on the big toilet like a big boy, so we just got him one of those little seats that fit on top of the bowl and fit his bum.
Yesterday Crystal began screaming from upstairs that he was starting to grunt while hiding in her closet, so in an effort to be heroic and get him to his potty seat on time I ran up the stairs, two steps at a time and picked him up from Crystals room and immediately started hauling him back downstairs to where his potty seat awaited. As I was taking the steps back down, alas...my socks on the carpet started to slide and I slipped.
I had no options but to fall backwards on my back because I was holding Seth...so I did. Bruising my butt, my back, and hitting the back of my head all in the process...still I slid all the way to the bottom of the steps on my back.
Of course it made a racket and Scott came running to see if I was okay. When he headed around the corner to the stairs he saw me laying at the bottom of the steps, flat my back laughing like a hyena, while Seth sat in bewilderment on top of me. When he got closer to see if I was okay I yelled "Quick!! Get him on the toilet or it will all be for nothing!!" Scott attempted, but Seth folded his arms and yelled..."NO! I want MOMMY to take me!!" So yes, I got up, limped down the hall with him laughing and wincing in pain all the way and sat him on the dang bowl. Then, because Seth is a private person, he demanded that I leave and shut the door because he doesn't like people watching him poop. The good news? Yes, he did it!! He pooped in the toilet! Since he gets to put the sticker on himself and get a gummy worm for his efforts he's really enthusiastic about it.
Today he kept a dry diaper from morning until 3:30pm and has gone to the bathroom every time he needed to. Right now he's down for a nap. He's still sleeping so we'll keep going when he wakes up. I'm so proud of my little potty man!!
I had to take the embarrassing "I'm sitting on the potty" picture. He's pretty pleased with himself though so I don't feel bad.
He's actually really enthusiastic about the whole thing. I loves being a big boy, and if anything my biggest problem is getting him off the toilet so that he can carry on with the rest of his life instead of sit there all day. It helps that he got to pick his own potty seat though.
Here's what it looks like. Courtesy of walmart. Of course he picked the football:

Crystal has been a great help throughout the entire process...it's ten times easier to keep an eye on him with her help. She's only five, but she's already a fantastic babysitter. Whenever I put him in time out, she's there to comfort him. This time he was in time out for hitting, and as he cried while sitting in his spot on the floor Crystal helped him get through the emotional turmoil:
Wanna know something awesome? She put him down for a nap for me without me doing anything today. When he said he was tired, she walked him up to his little bed and sang to him until he fell asleep. It amazes me how responsible she is for a five year old. She's such an amazing big sister, and daughter. She's my little mini-grown up and he's my little comedian.
4 comments:
Awesome news about Seth being potty trained! It is too bad you had to break your back to do it. Crystal is such a sweet big sister. I can't get enough of Seth's dimples.
Oh potty training--a mother's greatest accomplishment next to giving birth. I'm glad he's doing well, and I sure hope you recover from your fall. What a sweetheart Crystal is! Isn't it great having a girl first--they are so motherly and will be awesome babysitters :)
That is true dedication to potty training!!! Wow, I sure hope you are ok! Your kids are adorable, I hope the potty training continues to go well!
Meh...he fell off the wagon. I'm thinking this is going to take months. He loved it the first day and is slowly getting difficult, including running and hiding so he can poo in his diaper in his closet. He likes it better in there. Crystal didn't train till she was three so maybe it was just wishful thinking, but we'll keep trying on and off and eventually he'll get it.
Post a Comment