A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Being spontaneous

I sleep in on Saturdays.
Every morning, Crystal, who happens to be an early riser, comes in my room and wakes me up, but on Saturday Scott is home and he is usually kind enough to wake up when the kids do in the morning and give them breakfast and help them start their day.
Yesterday he woke me up during my weekly sleep in time and told me that we were "going on an adventure"... to get dressed in outdoor clothes and bring a swimsuit.
He had a bag packed with all the kids things an everything else he wanted to bring and so I got up, got ready and we were off.
He took us south, through Spanish fork, into the canyon, past Price, and all the way to Huntington Lake. Why? Cause it was something different, and Saturdays at my house are usually boring. Usually we run errands, then come home and lounge around the house. Today Scott wanted to do something different, and it was awesome. Before I got married, I was very extremely spontaneous. Life's routines sort of take that away as the years go by, you wake up, do your morning ritual, and start the routine...change diapers, do last nights dishes, (I wait till morning) make breakfast, etc. Sometimes I have work in there too. Anyway, I'm not complaining, I don't mind it, it's nice having the security that comes with a husband who loves you and two kids who think you're the smartest most capable person alive. Who wouldn't want that? There always is a part of me though, that still likes the unexpected, so when Scott, who usually loves to have things planned out, randomly wanted to get in the car and escape the world with me for a while, I was so excited I didn't ask any questions I just got ready and jumped in the car.
Anyway, we hung out at the lake all day. The kids had a blast. For Seth, it was just like the beach (because as a 2 year old he couldn't tell the difference) and for us, it was an excuse to be outside and enjoy mother nature, and get a tan.
I'm so thankful for a husband who still likes to pull out the occasional surprise. I love watching my kids laugh and giggle outside and enjoy life, and I love having that to share with my spouse. Yesterday was a blast.



















The kids slept the whole way back. It was fantastic.



I realize that this little excursion wasn't what my single friends consider living the wild life, but for me, it was all I needed. I find fulfillment in little things, like being far away from humanity, in the sun, at a beautiful lake with the people I love most. Life is good.

6 comments:

Heather said...

That is awesome, I'm the exact same way as far as being spontaneous but kids do make that difficult. My hubby should take notes from yours on coming up with surprises. He usually says, "I was going to surprise you but....." so I never get them. And that is my sad tale of woo today. Glad your kids had fun at the "beach"!

stephanie itri said...

Sounds so fun! We have lots of Saturdays doing nothing and would be great to get out and do something like this. The most we do is go swim in the backyard. Great idea Scott!

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

how fun is that, what a good husband!

Lisa said...

What a great idea! The picture of Seth and Crystal together is so sweet. I miss the days of being spontaneous. Do you remember our spontaneous trips down to Utah Lake?

ChristopheRobyn said...

What a fun day! I'm glad you guys got to get out and enjoy mother nature for awhile. I can't believe how quick your kids are growing up!

Mike & Jenna said...

That is like so spontaneous and living on the wild side for us. I would LOVE going to a state park or something! We NEVER do anything like that. We do sleep in on saturdays however :) but our idea of an adventure is going to eat at a restaurant we have never been to before...which i guess can be an adventure sometimes.. :S sounds SO fun!