A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Leprechaun Bread.



This picture is of Irish soda bread. I wanted to make it for St Patty's day yesterday because it was Irish and thought it would be somewhat festive. My daughter helped me make it. She poured the cups of flour, sugar, salt; helped me crack the eggs, stirred the pot, everything. I've never tried having her help me bake before because it never occurred to me. I'm usually so focused on what I'm doing and having it done fast and perfectly, that I don't have my kids help me nearly as often as I should. I'm working on that.
Anyway, we added a little bit of green food coloring to make it green for St. Patrick's day, and we called it Leprechaun Bread. What I didn't anticipate, was that with the white floured top, and green insides, that the bread would look like mold, which it did. My daughter could barely eat one piece without gagging. I took a small bite and it tasted fine, like bread, but it just looked awful. Scott wouldn't eat it either. I would have eaten it myself, cause like I said, it tasted good, but I'm on a diet and can't eat it.
I had to make the best of a bad situation, so before bed, we left the leprechaun bread out for the leprechauns to eat. While the kids were asleep I dumped the bread but left the crumbs in the pan. I left a thank you card from our "house leprechaun", that read:
Dear Crystal, thank you for making me the bread. It was delicious. Hope you had a great St. Patrick's day.
Then I drew a picture of a little leprechaun on it instead of signing it "from the leprechaun"...which didn't sound right. I also left out a few chocolate gold coins for her to eat in the now empty bread pan.
Her smile this morning was from ear to ear. She kept giggling at how great it was that the leprechaun liked her.
So in spite of my baking blunder, I managed to make a bad situation into a good one. Hope you all had a great St. Patrick's day.

5 comments:

Ramsey said...

What a cute idea! Beck loves helping me in the kitchen. It usually turns into a giant mess but it's fun. Oh and you need to go check out my blog because I talk about you and my confusion on the big Irish holiday :)

stephanie itri said...

That's so adorable!

Andrea and Nate Tracey said...

Nice!! Very creative! I am glad that you are back to blogging, it was fun getting all caught up!! :)

Cathy said...

I want to eat it! Good to see you blogging again! I've missed you!

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

Love your blog, and good job posting all the pictures!! Nice job on the bread!