A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I hate spiders!!

So yesterday evening while doing the dishes, I feel a tickle on my arm and look down to see a fairly large house spider crawling up my arm. Gross. Instead of screaming, I made a face, brushed it off, and stomped on it when it fell to the floor. Not bad for a girlie chick like me, right? Well the exact same night I was caught by surprise yet again. Imagine going to turn off the light in the family room on your way to bed and seeing this poking out of your doorbell machine on the wall:

I've decided that my spider tolerance changes with the size of the spider. Those legs were all his by the way. He was a wolf spider that was easily 2 inches in size. I tried to document the catching and killing that Scott did...which included hairspray, lighter fluid, bleach spray, and a big glass bowl to trap it under, but I couldn't stop shaking the camera so you can't see it, and I was screaming like the girlie girl I really am, which is too embarrassing to post.
So much for my earlier bravery. The part that kills me is I can manage to be afraid of a little spider, but not be afraid when walking the streets of La Paz, bolivia through a dark alley at night being followed by a few drunks. What's my deal? I'm glad my daughter wasn't awake to see me scream. Is it too late in the year to have my house sprayed?

5 comments:

natalie brady said...

Yuck! I hate spiders too! A few nights ago a saw a huge one in my kitchen, the biggest I'd ever seen, probably 3" , so of course I told sam to get it and he said that you aren't supposed to kill spiders because they eat all the other bugs in the house. I told him to kill it anyway, so he did. The next morning my kitchen was covered in ants! I don't know which was worse!

Don&Stacy&Boys said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhh! Ya I am not found of spiders either I love when my husband is home to kill them for me because I don't like getting anywhere near them and yes I have unfortunately passed this fear on to my children.

Familia Forsloff said...

that was way creepy to watch!...all of a sudden I feel a little jumpy!

Lisa said...

I don't mind the little ones but the bigger ones make me freak out. The one you found is huge. Luckily it was stuck in there. It creeped me out just watching it. Maybe the one you saw earlier was a test to prepare you for what you saw later. I would say to get your house sprayed and go on a little trip while it is being done. Good luck with that.

Marilee said...

Ugh! I hate spiders too. We have so many spiders in our basement. Every week I go spider hunting with our vacuum. I love that Scott said he wanted to take the spider out so he could see how big it was...only a guy would say something like that.