A happy family, is but an earlier Heaven...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bedtime

Sometime last week Crystal was in a bad mood at bedtime and insisted on being sung to and stayed with all night until she fell asleep. (The problem is since mommy is the one who tucks her in, mommy, being tired, pregnant, and slightly low on patience these days, can only deal with it for so long before she gives up and just lets her whine in her crib/room and goes to bed.)
Anyway like I mentioned, last week she was being particularly insistent, and when Mommy left to go to bed for herself, Crystal started screaming. After listening to her whine for about five minutes in her room, it finally quieted down and we figured she'd fallen asleep. However, no more than thirty seconds later, we heard a huge THUD, followed by the sound of the doorknob to her room.
I jumped up and opened her door to see her standing innocently with her blanket in hand and a big smile on her face yelling "I did it! I did it!"
The moment I've been dreading since she was just an infant had arrived. She had learned to vault her body over the crib. To her credit, she's very talented. She looks like she had military training with the way she can launch herself over those bars.
So we went to Walmart a couple of days later to pick out a toddler bed, and we let her pick out her own bedding set to go with it. All her favorites were displayed in the bedding sets to choose from. Her three favorites in the display were Disney princesses, Micky mouse, and Elmo. We held all three out to her and asked her to make a choice. She deliberated for at least five minutes,(I'm not exaggerating) and after changing her mind a couple of times, went with Elmo. The smile on her face was ear to ear.
I wish you people could see her dancing and squealing around the room as she watched us set up her bed and Elmo bedding to go with it. These are the moments that make having kids so awesome. She was so happy. I wish I felt like dancing every time a little thing like new bedding came into my life. Here she is on her new Elmo bed with all her Elmo dolls piled on top of it....(her hair is in a ponytail, it's longer than that, I promise)

Yes...those Elmo dolls are all hers. It was no surprise that she settled for the Elmo bedding to match her obsession.

Since the switch she's actually done really well. We have to put a plastic safety knob on the door to keep her from coming out of her room after bedtime, but she only tried to come out once. It's been over a week now and we're all sleeping better than we thought we would. I thought the conversion would be much more scary than this, and I'm glad to say that she's been handling it wonderfully.

8 comments:

natalie brady said...

Yea! The big kid bed! We were lucky, nicholas never did figure out how to get out of his crib. When we moved him to a big boy bed it took him 3 months to figure out that he could actually get out of bed by himself, and that he didn't have to cry untill we come and get him!

Liz said...

Holy Elmos! She's going to suffocate at night in all those Elmos. :) Just kidding. She looks thrilled with her new bed. I can't believe she's old enough to be in a toddler bed! I loved the image of Crystal with her military training, lobbing herself over the crib railing. :) What an athlete...and a sweeheart!

Cathy said...

It looks like your baby girl is all grown up. Good luck! She is adorable!

Jewels said...

I'm actually surprised that Cache never figured out how to climb out of his crib. He would just sit in there and talk or sing to himself until he fell asleep or until we came to get him in the morning. Now, my little 6 month old son could be a different story - he's captain fidgets. I'm sure he'll fly out of the crib as soon as he can...lucky me! The Elmo bedding is super cute, looks like it was a great choice!!

We are looking at homes on the East side of PG...Cody knows the area better than I do (since he works there), but he wants to choose an area where he can still come home during his shift. I'll keep you posted!

Unknown said...

She is so cute. So you really don't remember me working at Fuddruckers?!?!?!?!? You spent your last day training me. You are the one who told me they were hiring. Thats funny.

Lisa said...

It sounds like Crystal made a smooth trasition to her bed. Lucky you. I love the picture with her and all the elmos! Parker has that same bed! Did you get it at Burlington?

Cordell and McCall said...

So Cute! Just telling everyone about my new blog because my old one is messed up!
thewashburnz.blogpsot.com
see ya in June!
McCall

Unknown said...

How funny that she said "I did It." that must have been a proud moment for her to launch herself out of bed.