So it's hard coming up with stuff to do to make sure Scott has a decent birthday every year. This year I started with making him a cake.
I am no baker. I don't make beautiful and amazing cakes like my sister in law Kelsey, and she wasn't around to help me with a cake this year, so I had to figure out something on my own.
So I made started fairly simple. Scott's favorite cake flavor is lemon, so I made him a nice round lemon cake with cream cheese frosting in the middle. Then I just used basic lemon frosting on top. Nothing exciting. Since I don't know how to decorate cakes, I used candy instead. It may not look like much, but it took more time than I want to admit, and I'm a little bit proud of it, even if it may look like poo to the more talented people of america who know what they're doing with cakes.
The good news is that Scott actually loved the way the cake tasted. The bad news is it had way too much candy...I think i got instant diabetes from the piece I ate.
Speaking of candy, I also put together a basket of goodies, including the biggest cookie I made together with a balloon to bring to his work to surprise him for his birthday. I also had an envelope in there with a birthday card that the the kids (except Jacob) signed, and a list of 31 reasons why Scott is awesome, which I wrote about in my last post. Also two movie tickets to Stephanie Meyer's 'The Host.' As cheesy as the movie sounds, Scott and I read the book together, and we love going to see a movie after we've read the book even if the movie may turn out bad. This is an activity we've always shared together, so yes, I included tickets to the movie in there.
| All his favorite candies, along with his card. |
| Here is his balloon attached to it. |
Scott was actually surprised to see me show up at his work, so it was nice being able to surprise him with his little basket. He giggled at Seth's signature on the card (he can write his name, but we're working on handwriting and sizing of letters). He also really liked the tickets because he was thinking of going out and buying some for us anyway. There are few movies Scott will actually take the time to see with me in the theater, but this was one of them. We sat and talked for a few minutes, and then I headed out with my mom to help her pick some new shirts for Scott that she wanted to buy for his birthday as well. I didn't get any pictures of them, but he liked them too. He is really picky about the kind of shirts he wears, they have to be certain brands, certain textures, and he likes all button down/collar shirts, so my mom was happy to have me help her pick them so that she would get something he would wear.
Scott's cousin, Johnny and his wife Dani, wanted to host a small get-together at their house that night to celebrate his birthday. Scott eats really healthy during the week, and only cheats on weekends. Since it was Friday and officially the weekend, AND it was his birthday, Scott chose to have breakfast for dinner, because it's been a long long while since he had an all american breakfast. We ate waffles, sausage, eggs, bacon, hash browns and orange juice. It was awesome, and the biggest fan of "breakfast for dinner" turned out to be Seth, who ate a ton and called it a "dynamite dinner". Here are a couple of pictures.
| Baby Austin, Jon and Dani's newest addition, who is all smiles |
| Jon, Dani, Scott and Kyle around the island getting food out to cook |
| HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTT!!!! |
| Here is Johnny bonding with Jacob who was getting sleepy. Jacob really took to his "Uncle Johnny." |
| Blowing out the candles after singing 'Happy Birthday' |
It was really great of Jon and Dani to have us over and it was fun to hang out with them and talk. The kids did really well there, they went downstairs and watched Disney movies in the basement while the grown ups hung out, and Jakey was busy all night playing with Link's toy cars, he thought the cars were so cool he didn't make a peep, except to exclaim, "Car!" to anyone who would listen. It was sort of a miricle that the kids were such angels, and we stayed out until one in the morning hanging out which was really nice.
The next day, I didn't take pictures of, but my parents took us out to dinner at Tucano's to celebrate Scott's birthday, and then they sang to him AGAIN at their house when we ate there for Sunday dinner. So it was really cool to have sort of an entire weekend to celebrate Scott's birthday, even though he had to take work home with him and do it at home on the computer whenever he had down time.
It was a great weekend because we were able to spend time together as a family, and I daresay he had a good birthday in spite of the busy season. I'm so glad. I really wanted him to enjoy his birthday. It's nice to be able to do things for him once in a while since he does so much for us. Love that man.
No comments:
Post a Comment