
I actually have a lot of clear memories as a first grader. I remember my teacher, Mrs. Schofield gave me my first school punishment ever, by making me put my head down on my desk instead of listening to story time, because I went and took a drink from the drinking fountain instead of sitting on the carpet, like she told everyone to. I cried the whole time. I remember that my two best friends were Jennifer Chalmers and Stacy Hobson, (both of whom I still have contact with thanks to Facebook). I remember that my teacher never let me and Jenny sit together during assemblies because we would talk too much and never pay attention. My teacher sounds mean, but she was actually a good lady. She even showed up at my wedding reception years later. I remember that Stacy and I broke a the lightbulb on my ceiling from jumping on the bed during a sleepover and that Stacy was amazed that my mom was more concerned about how dangerous the glass was than the fact that we broke it. I remember racing the boys during recess because I knew I was faster than them and could win every time. I could go on and on.
It's amazing to me that my little girl is now at the same age that I still have such clear memories of. It's amazing to me that one day she may be a mother with kids and look back on these days right now with the same nostalgia that I have when I reflect on my early childhood. It's also amazing to me that she is so much brighter, responsible, and amazing than I EVER remember being at that age.
 |
| 1st grade class picture |
Parent teacher conferences were recently. Her teacher said she is almost at a third grade reading level, which of course made me proud. She loves to read, ever since she was a baby she has been obsessed with books. I was also informed that she is particularly sweet and helpful to a little boy in her class with a disability, that she is always trying to help him understand and participate with the class, that she will sit with him and help him with his work when she is finished with hers. That news made me the proudest of all. I am such a lucky mother to have a child who loves others so much.
I sometimes wonder how she sees the world, and what things she chooses to remember in her daily life.
Thanks to her little first grade journal, I can have a glimpse. It makes me smile, and some of it even made me giggle a little bit. Oh how I miss the simplicity of childhood.
So perhaps for my own sake more than yours, I am posting her pictures/entries of how this school year has been for her so far They are a lot of pictures but her entries are all one liners so it's not that bad to read. Feel free to scroll down and read the ones that look interesting:
 |
| August 21st 2012: " This summer I went to Philadelphia and we went to the beach every day." |
|
 |
| August 22: " I lost my tooth yesterday, and when I woke up for school, I found a dollar under my pillow. I was so happy." |
|
|
 |
| August 24th: "When I had my birthday I went to Chuck-E-Cheeses. I had the most of the tickets in all of the game. I had tons of fun." |
 |
| "On Saturday my Grandma and Grandpa went back to Philadelphia, and I won't see them for another 15years. (I'm not sure where she got that number.)" |
 |
| August 28th: "Today in the morning I felt my tooth wiggling. I got so excited that I ran to my mom" |
 |
| August 29th: "When my Grandma and Grandpa (Itri) were here we had pizza and had lots of fun" |
 |
| August 30th: "On the first day of school I opened my homework school things, I got so excited that I had to go to school as fast as I could." |
 |
| September 4th: "On Sunday we (her and Seth) got a toy airplane and BB gun. (From her Bolivian uncle....yeah I haven't mentioned that one yet. Long story with a now hidden BB gun involved.) And today and Monday my Aunt Slept over!" | | | | |
|
|
 |
| September 6th: "Yesterday I went to my friends house Halley. It was so fun fun fun." |
 |
| September 7th: "Everyday me and Halley play at recess. She is my bestest friend I've ever had!" |
 |
| September 10th: "Halley and I love to jump rope together." |
 |
| September 12th: "I also have a friend named Brinley. she is my best friend." |
 |
| September 13th "One time we had to clean our desks out because they were so messy." |
 |
| September 14th: "Today we are going to art class." |
 |
| September 17th: "Last Saturday we went to my Grandma's house. We had pizza there. We played games and jumped on their trampoline." |
 |
| September 19th: "Yesterday when I was trying to get a glass of water I slipped on a piece of ice." (This one made me laugh.) |
 |
| September 20th: "yesterday we had a great dessert. It was Muddy Buddies. They were delicious." |
 |
| September 24th: "My Halloween costume is gonna be Snow White." |
 |
| September 25th: "My birthday is close to Christmas time." |
 |
| September 26th: "When I get home I like to play with my brother outside." |
 |
| September 28th: "Yesterday I went to Halley's house. We played School and House. We had some snacks too. |
 |
| October 3rd: "Yesterday my brother went to football class." |
 |
| October 8th: "Yesterday we went to my grandma's. He had dinner together." |
Anyway, I know those are a lot of pictures, but I enjoy reading them.
I am so thankful for my little girl. She has always been the easiest child to manage in the world. She is obedient, kind, thoughtful, and a hard worker. She is intelligent, loves others, and loves reading her scripture book every day. Having her in my life blesses me every day. She is wonderful.
1 comment:
what a sweetheart! that journal is priceless!!
Post a Comment