Our little guy, Jacob finally made it here to the world. On Sunday the 11th of December, after church and after tithing settlement I was walking to the car when mid-walk into the parking lot I felt...leaky.
That combined that every step I was taking had turned to agony made me decide that on my way to my parents house for Sunday dinner I might want to check in at the hospital and make sure what I was feeling was just a false alarm.
I made poor Scott wait in the car with the kids in the parking lot because I was sure it would just take a few minutes and they'd say all was clear and send me on my way and I could have peace of mind.
The cool thing about being in a Utah hospital on a Sunday is that it's virtually empty. It was nice and quiet and I could go right where I needed to without waiting in a crowded waiting room.
After a test or two they decided to hook me up to a contraction monitor and see how my contractions were doing, and so they informed me that they needed to keep me for another hour. I called Scott and let him know.
I was frustrated because Crystal was celebrating her pretend birthday at school the next day, (her real birthday is during the Christmas break) and I hadn't helped her make her poster about herself to take to School to share with her classmates, and now with all this nonsense at the hospital I didn't know if I could get to it. I was worried because I didn't want the celebration of Crystal's birthday with her friends to be wrecked by the whole situation.
Luckily my parents came to the rescue and my sister and brother went to pick up my kids and take them to their place to make her poster so that her birthday could be celebrated.
Meanwhile after an hour it was determined that my contractions were every 2-5 minutes apart, and that during two of the contractions, Jacob's heart rate dropped a little which made them worry, so they called my doctor on the phone and she said that we'd better be safe than sorry and to just start me on the pitocin and put me into full labor.
The conversation with Scott on the phone was funny.
Me: "Hey...they're keeping me here, I'm not going home tonight."
Scott: Did they get a hold of the Doctor?
Me: Yes, she said to just start me on the pitocin
Scott: So what does that mean.
Me: The pitocin...to put me into full labor
Scott: OH. We're having a kid?
Me: Yup.
Scott: Awesome I'm coming in.
Me: Go get some fast food first you haven't eaten dinner, just make it back in time for me to squeeze your hand during the epidural.
Scott: Okay there's an Arby's down the street. I'll eat really fast and then come up. You want a sandwich?
Me: Yes, a BLT. Our room has a fridge in it so you can put it in the fridge for me until after I give birth. I'm starving.
Anyway, yes, he made it back in time for me to squeeze his hand during the epidural which was a good thing cause the anesthesiologist was a weirdo and he was aggravating me a little bit with his stupid jokes. Which is okay because ultimately he did a beautiful job making me numb enough to feel everything that was happening without actual pain, so I was thankful for him.
Also, I really really loved my nurse. She was the best labor and delivery nurse I'd ever worked with. I recently contacted the hospital just to tell them what a great job she did. It's always nice when you can tell someone serving you actually loves their job. I felt like I had known her for years and was joking and laughing with her and talking to her during the whole labor.
My doctor, is the same one who delivered Crystal. (She was on maternity leave when I was pregnant with Seth). She has always done a fabulous job. I would recommend her to anyone anywhere who is looking for a top notch, professional, OBGYN who always puts the patients needs first. I think she's taking new patients, so if anyone is looking for an incredible doctor, let me know and I can give you her info.
I could go on and on about the miracle of birth when that tiny baby makes their appearance for the first time and how it NEVER gets less amazing, but I don't think I could describe it well enough. Needless to say it was just as special and sacred to me the third time as it was the first. I think the actual spirit of the room, or aura, or vibe or whatever you believe in changes when a new baby comes into the room. There isn't any feeling like it in the whole world, and suddenly all the stupid suffering I go through during 10 months of pregnancy is all worth it. It is incredible to see that little face and hear that little cry after all you've been through, and it's always love at first sight when you hold that little body in your arms.
Little Jacob as taught me once again that life is so beautiful, and it just gets better when you make the right choices. This pregnancy was hard for me with moving houses, my job, having two other kids at home and the toll it took on my body which is now in it's thirties and not as resilient as it was in my twenties. Alas, I am n longer a spring chicken. It was SO worth the sacrifice though. I'm so in love with this little guy. Just holding him and looking at his little face feels like the best thing in the world. As terrified as I was of going through a pregnancy during such a stressful year, it was worth it.
Here are some pictures for you.
Me on oxygen. My blood pressure dropped a few times during the labor so they gave me a sexy oxygen mask to keep me from fainting. My blood pressure is such a wimp.
Poor kid didn't like the whole birth thing. When my water broke his heartbeat kept dropping because he was pinching the cord during the contractions. I had to lay on my left side because it seemed to help keep his heartbeat from dropping.
He's SO cute though! Even when he's sad! When he cries his bottom lip hangs out.
Seven lbs 8 oz. Not bad for being 2 weeks early.
This was the BEST. My hospital offers room service! I fell in love with the honey pecan chicken breast there. I still crave it.
His face has already changed since this picture. He looks a lot like Seth here, but more recent pics will show that he's a really strong mix between both Crystal and Seth.
Crystal showed up wearing a crown because she had just finished celebrating her pretend birthday at school, and was the star of the week. She is thrilled to have a baby to cuddle in the family.
I debated on posting this one because Jacob is crying and making a mad face, but Seth is just so dang happy to be holding his brother for the first time that I had to use it.
My parents came to meet their new grand kid
First family photo!!
Isn't he cute! I made him myself!!! .... (Okay, Scott provided the blueprints)
MORE STUFF...
So we had a baby! Job well done! We can sit back and relax, right? Nope. We were right in the thick of the Holidays. Yes this little man was worth the sacrifice, but if I ever ever ever have the courage to have another child (ask me again in a few years, right now the thought is inconceivable) it will not be in December again. Why? Because of the chaos of all the family coming and going and crazy last second plans along with my wedding anniversary, Christmas, Crystals birthday and New Years eve. All those events combined with 3-4 hours of sleep a night with a newborn, make the Holidays something to be survived more than cherished. Yes I like Christmas, but honestly, I'm really glad it's over, and I don't care if that makes me sound like a scrooge, lack of sleep combined with the physical recovery from having a baby combined with usual holiday stress is not cool. I had Crystal in December, but it was a few days after Christmas and we were able to take it easy at home a lot more than we were this year.
My physical recovery was a lot harder with this baby than with my first two. I wrote a huge paragraph following that sentence describing the why's and how's, but decided to delete it for the faint of heart. Recovery hasn't been pretty as far as my physical well being is concerned. The good thing is that I can fake feeling fine in almost any situation, which came in handy when we had people over at the house. I thank my dad for passing on his extremely high pain endurance to me.
Since little Jakey was only a few days old, Scott and I spent our 7 year wedding anniversary at home with a take out meal. Not the most romantic, but it was good to sit down together and reflect on everything we had gone through in the last seven years. It's also kind of crazy to me to think that I've been married for seven years already. I've been told to watch out for the "Seven year itch..." but honestly, it's not going to happen. Why? Because being who I am, if I were to have a marriage itch, it would have been way before seven years with a personality like mine. Actually I'm quite happy to be where I am in life right now. I don't want to make you all roll your eyes at my mushiness and gushing over my husbino, so I'll keep it simple and say, that I love the man. Especially lately. The sacrifices he makes to always be there for me and the kids is beyond my comprehension. I love him with all my heart.
Anyway, on to Christmas. Scotts family were out here for Christmas, and everyone was nice enough to come to our house to open presents since I've had to stay home with the baby. By some divine miracle, Scott and I wrapped all our Christmas presents for the kids the day before I went into labor. Honestly it was inspiration to do so because we wouldn't have had any time to do so even a day later. Here are some pics of our Christmas this year.
White elephant party I had to stay home with baby so I couldn't attend this years, but I still have a picture of it thanks to Scott:
Christmas Eve dinner
Nick made an amazing shrimp pasta dinner. There was some controversy about how much wine to put into it while cooking it, but it turned out fantastic.
Closeup of pasta:
Todd also made a tasty bread pudding with chocolate chips for dessert
It's a Christmas Eve tradition for Scott, Me and the kids to make a gingerbread house together as a family before bedtime.
Santa came when the kids were asleep!
Christmas morning. Scott put a barrier up to block the kids from running downstairs to the tree before we were ready to open presents. They weren't happy about having to wait.
Jacob slept in
Crystal was the most impatient this look says it all
With so many people spending Christmas together, it was awesome yet chaotic. Here are some pics of everyone enjoying opening up their presents
With Itri's, a huge Christmas Breakfast together as a family after presents is a MUST. Scott has passed this tradition onto our little family of five as well. It was nice to have everyone over this year and the breakfast was delicious. My favorite thing? The orange rolls. I demand orange rolls every year, and I found out this year, that my father in law, Nick also shares the same passion for Orange rolls on Christmas.
Four days later we celebrated Crystal's 6th Birthday!!!!
Since Jacob was still a really brand new baby and I couldn't take her out and Scott was back at work, my parents paid me a huge favor and took Crystal to Chuck-E-Cheese's for lunch to eat pizza, play games and watch a show. Later on that night she got to blow out her candles with us and Scotts family and open some more presents.
I always feel guilty for not going all out on Crystal's birthday since it's only 4 days after Christmas. Last year I resolved to give her a huge party, but then I got pregnant and had a new baby along with just finishing Christmas. I felt terrible this year that all we did was sing, open presents and tell her how great she was all day instead of something more elaborate. Her birthday though celebrated every year deserves more attention. I'd love to go all out one year and give my only daughter the huge bash she deserves. The wonderful thing about Crystal is she's so sweet and appreciative she doesn't seem to notice or care. Cake, presents, and a little recognition is all she really seems to need even though she's always deserved more. I don't know what I would do without my darling angel girl. She helps me everyday with keeping the house clean and putting things away and lately, rocking the baby in his bouncer so that I can put him down and go to the bathroom or cook a meal. She is the most kind, selfless, loving, giving, and thoughtful little girl I know, and having her in our home blesses us every single day.
Anyway, it's been a crazy month. Along with those things we also celebrated New Years Eve, and since Scott's family was in town we blessed Jacob in Sacrament meeting the very next day even though he was only 3 weeks old. Since it was the holidays and such short notice, only direct family really knew about it, so to friends who would have come, I'm sorry for not letting you know. It was practically a last second decision, and since he was still so small we left directly after the meeting and went to our house for a family breakfast complete with waffles, pancakes and good company. It was great to have Scott's parents and his brother Brian come out here from the east coast to spend the holidays with us this year!
Some of the things that stuck out to me that were mentioned in his blessing were that he was blessed to always be able to feel the love of the Savior in his life, that he can be an example to his family members and his peers; he was blessed with a love for the scriptures, and that he will always have a positive attitude to help him through life's struggles. We're so glad to have this new person in our family!!
Here are some gratuitous baby pics of Jacob that have been taken over the last month. He is almost 6 weeks old now, and though I'm not a big fan of waking up every 2-3 hours to nurse and change him, I love feeling his spirit in our home.
Anyway, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post this. I'm still behind on so many things and there doesn't seem to be any time at all for anything. The good news is that having done this twice before, I know it gets easier. Everyone has warned me that the jump from 2 to 3 kids is the most difficult. It is, but it's not unbearable either. My biggest problem is not letting myself get overwhelmed with all there is to do, and just take things a step at a time, for example, that means that right now there are some areas in my house that are a little messy, but at least I made dinner. It's the best I can do for now, but I'll figure it out.
Also to those who didn't receive a Christmas E-card because I didn't have your email, here is the card we sent out online for Christmas. People keep asking me about my big smiling face in front of the dude on the still frame of this video. This was during our Hawaii trip. Kelsey and I thought this guys mustache was fantastic because it curled up at the ends like a supervillian, so she took a picture of me in front of him so we could always remember it. Sadly you can't really see the detail of his awesomely bad mustache in the pic.
Hope you all had a fantastic Holiday season!!
5 comments:
Lisa, glad you are feeling better. I can't imagine waking up 2-3 times a night, feeding, changing...etc. OH I'm so not in touch with that anymore. Hang in there it does get better. You are my hero!
I love it when you post! Jacob is so adorable I can't even handle it, but then again so are your other two so there really was no question. You are super woman! I can't imagine having a baby right before Christmas, I thought having one the month after was bad enough! And I can definitly sympathize with you on the baby after 30 thing, who knew it made such a difference! Hope you continue to heal up and get things running smoothly!
Jake is SO CUTE!!! And you are superwoman!
That baby is sooooo adorable. Your kids are just so dang cute!! I'm glad everyone in your little family is happy and healthy!
Oh my goodness, Jacob is BEAUTIFUL! Such an adorable baby. Of course, you guys make some of the cutest kids ever.
Post a Comment